Microsoft Silverlight has been announced and you can find many posts and articles around the net about this technology.
I was very interested about Silverlight and I tried to go deep to better understand what it offers and how it could differ from Flex 2.
I would like to create a comparing table to
These are notes I wrote so far :
- Starting from the scratch : the Silverlight plugin has about 0% penetration at the moment. Flash player is everywhere
- Silverlight seams to be very .Net dependent. Flex is totally independent to server side technology used
- It does not offer J2EE integration and enterprise messaging. Flex offers Flex Data Services (now Livecycle Data Services)
- No support for Linux browsers/systems. Flash Player runs on Win, Mac, Liunux, Sun Solaris
- SOA( WebServices and XML) based services only. Flex has three RPC services : HTTP, SOA and Remote Object (with AMF3)
- Low information about Silverlight Mobile. Flex is not mobile (so far) :))
Instead, what impressed me it's the video capabilities of Silverlight. At the moment this is the only feature that could compete with the Flash Player capabilities.
It leverages the VC-1 codec and it supports HD DVD and Blu-ray and the DRM features.
In the next days I'll feel more confident so I'll give you more detailed informations and comparing notes.